Courtney School has the honor of being the first consolidated high school in Yadkin County. The schools consolidated were Courtney, Harvel, Who, Deep Creek, and Turner’s Creek. The school began with only nine grades, but two years later had eight graduates. Soon afterward, Double Oak, Huntsville, and Lone Hickory joined in the consolidation.
The high school moved into its original building in 1927. A gymnasium, financed by the community members, was built in 1931. In 1936, the first wing was added to the main building. In 1952, the original gymnasium was replaced with a newer gymnasium.
In 1967, Courtney became an elementary school when Courtney High School students began going to the new consolidated Forbush High School.
At the close of the 1986-1987 school year, the original building and the 1936 wing were demolished. In the fall of 1988, the school moved into the current building. The newer facility includes a gymnatorium, a combination gymnasium and auditorium, and a media center. The old high school wing was also renovated.
In the fall of 2009, seventh and eighth grades were moved to the newly constructed Forbush Middle School. Tier reorganization resulted in the sixth grade moving to the middle school beginning with the 2020-2021 school year.
The gym constructed in 1952 was severely damaged by a tornado in the spring of 2017. Portions of the gymnasium were salvaged and a near-identical building was constructed in its place.
Originally, Courtney’s colors were blue and white. Sometime in the late 1940s when new uniforms were needed, the uniform company had sold out of blue and white, but they had green and white. So, Courtney’s colors became green and white. Sometime later, in the late 1980s, a similar situation occurred. Other schools began having three colors in the uniform instead of two. Therefore, Courtney’s colors are now green, white, and blue.